R&D Scientist - Sterile Injectable / Parenteral Formulations ~ C
07-27-20 (12:01 AM)
CENTRAL ISLIP, New York, UnitedStates
The content and statements documented in this job description are designed to describe the general nature and level of work as well as provide a basic understanding of the role, responsibilities, and expectations of the person assigned to perform the job. This job description is not designed to provide an exact or exhaustive list of all job duties, tasks, skills, and qualifications. The intent of this job description is to be representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and in accordance with the established performance expectations.
- The R&D Scientist - Sterile Injectable / Parenteral Formulations position is an individual contributor role and reporting to the Associate Director of Research & Development (R&D) at InvaGen/Cipla New York. The job duties for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Operate as the subject matter expert (SME) on pre-formulation and formulation, process development and technology transfer as applied to sterile injectable / parenteral formulations. Products may range from vials, ampoules, infusion bags, pre-filled syringes etc.
- Lead formulation and process development, product characterization, process analytical technologies (PAT) and incorporation of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs), excipients, packaging material and devices to develop finished products. Products may range from internal product development projects, products that are commercialized, products that are in-licensed from external entity or products that are co-developed with a development partner.
- Conduct API, excipient, packaging or device characterization; excipient compatibility and forced degradation studies. Recommend stage appropriate acceptance criteria for vendor and regulatory specifications. Utilize relevant theoretical modeling and statistical tools, as required.
- Develop robust lab-scale, pilot-scale and commercial-scale manufacturing process based on Quality by Design (QbD) principles using design of experiments (DOE). Recommend stage appropriate acceptance criteria. Utilize PAT where feasible. Utilize relevant statistical tools, as required.
- Review and analyze relevant stability data from lab-scale, pilot-scale and commercial-scale, R&D and GMP stability studies by utilizing industry standard modeling and analysis tools including regression analysis for shelf-life prediction. Develop and implement strategies to control related substances, where applicable.
- Work with relevant cross-functional stakeholders (e.g., Commercial Operations, Quality Control, Quality Assurance etc.) on scale-up and technology transfer of processes from R&D to commercial functions.
- Lead and/or participate in activities related to process development, process verification/qualification, process pre-validation, process validation, site and equipment qualification in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Act as single-point technical contact for contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) or contract research organizations (CROs). Collaborate with project management (PM) function to lead execution of activities against approved plan.
- Provide relevant subject matter expertise in collaboration with external partners in the form of participation in technical strategy discussions; consultation on technical studies; hands-on characterization and/or third-party interface (e.g., CDMOs, CROs etc.)
- Draft high-quality industry standard technical documents (protocols, reports, technical memorandums, position papers etc.).
- Lead and/or participate in conducting data and hypothesis driven investigations for quality events (planned and unplanned deviations) with recommendations of relevant corrective and preventative actions (CAPAs) to line functions.
- Independently draft and/or review standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain effective and pro-active communication and coordination of activities with multi-functional stakeholders.
- Draft and/or participate in drafting relevant sections of dossiers towards 505(b)(1), 505(b)(2) or 505(j) submissions. Lead studies in support of responses to United States Federal Drug Administration (FDA) information requests or deficiency letters for various dossiers
- Train peers and junior staff members on new techniques.
TYPICAL DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES
- New product development
- R&D activities such as pre-formulation, formulation, process development or analytical method development
- Primary Packaging development and optimization
- Technical Troubleshooting
- Technology Transfe
- Process Validation
- Leading activities at CDMOs
- Drafting dossier supportive documents
Drafting and responding to relevant requests from the US FDA or EU authorities
- Working with external partners on technical activities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Doctorate in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Industrial Pharmacy, Analytical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry
- 5 years of experience in relevant, related scientific work
- Experience with basic concepts of sterile injectable / parenteral products is a must.
- In-depth understanding of physical pharmacy, physical chemistry, thermodynamics, chemical reaction kinetics is a must
- In-depth understanding of various pre-formulation and formulation studies including excipient compatibility, forced degradation studies and unit steps in formulation manufacture is a must.
- Experience with pilot-scale and manufacturing-scale equipment is a plus.
- Experience with process analytical technologies (PAT) is a plus.
- Experience with drug-device combination basics and operational aspects in a plus
- Experience with selection of primary packaging options is a plus.
PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Must possess strong documentation and technical writing skills, and able to apply relevant scientific principles and practices.
- Strong command over written and verbal English is a must. Past publication experience is a must
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision and able to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to exercise appropriate professional judgment on matters of significance.
- Must be proficient in computer skills and software applications such as Microsoft Office tools.
- Knowledge of statistical packages is a plus.
- Must communicate clearly and concisely across levels, both orally and in written.
OTHER JOB INFORMATION
- Relocation negotiable.
- No remote work available.
- Must be willing to work some weekends based on a relevant business need, if required.